Main conferences and workshops attended by CHNL in 2013. CHNL’s presentations are indicated:
1. Arctic Frontiers Conference 2013 at the University of Tromsø, January 20-25; CHNL launched the ARCTIS on-line database on the January 24 in the main conference auditorium at the Plenary: Projects and Program Announcements, and presented ARCTIS on a TV screen as part of the conference Poster Session. CHNL’s presentation: “The Launch of the ARCTIS Online Database on January 24, 2013”.
2. “Arctic Summit: A New Vista for Trade, Energy and the Environment” The Economist’s International conference at the Hotel Bristol in Oslo, March 11-12, 2012.
3. “Arctic Dialogue 2013: Arctic in a Global Perspective”, an international conference at the University of Nordland, March 19-21, 2013; organized by High North Centre for Business and Governance, Bodø Graduate School of Business. CHNL’s presentation: “The ARCTIS Online Database”.
4. The International conference “The Northern Sea Route: State, Problems and Prospects” in St. Petersburg, Russia, April 11, 2013. Organizers were the Central Marine Research & Design Institute and magazine News of Maritime Petersburg with the support of the Ministry of Transport Russian Federation. CHNL’s presentation: “CHNL’s NSR Information Office in Murmansk”.
5. “Forum for Arctic Climate Change and Security: The final Capstone Seminar of the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS)”, an international seminar at the Royal Swedish Academy of Fine Arts in Stockholm, Sweden, April 19, 2013. The seminar started with presentations from Mr. Carl Bildt, Foreign Minister of Sweden, and Mr. Erkki Tuominoja, Foreign Minister of Finland. CHNL’s presentation: “Current Logistical Limitations for Arctic Development and the Prospects for overcoming them in the Next 15 Years”.
6. “The 9th Annual Arctic Shipping Forum” at the Congress Paasitorni in Helsinki, Finland, April 23-26, 2013. The conference attended by 300 experts from the international shipping and logistics community. CHNL’s presentation: “Industry Expert Panel: Ship Operations in the Arctic” moderated by Craig Eason, Technical Editor of Lloyd’s List on April 24.
7. “Business for Barents – Sustainable Economic Growth in the Barents Euro-Arctic Region”, the 9th Barents Industrial Partnership Meeting of the Barents Euro-Arctic Region at the Radisson Blu Hotel Tromsø, May 13-14, 2013. CHNL invited to give keynote presentation in the Session on Sustainable Transportation: Maritime Traffic- Scenarios for Future Shipping Routes. CHNL’s keynote presentation: “Some Thoughts on a Circumpolar Arctic Logistics and Marine Transportation System”.
8. Nansen- Norwegian Scientific Academy for Polar Research (NVP) Summer School at Isdammen and UNIS, Longyearbyen, Svalbard, August18-26, 2013. CHNL’s presentation: “Conditions for and Experiences with Shipping Operations in the Northern Sea Route”.
9. “2013 North Pacific Arctic Conference (NPAC)” at the Hawaii Imin International Conference Center in Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, August 21-23, 2013. The conference was jointly organized by the East-West Center (EWC) of the United States and the Korean Maritime Institute (KMI), South-Korea. CHNL’s keynote presentation: “Future of Arctic Marine Operations and Shipping Logistics”.
10. “International Seminar on Sound and Sustainable Use of the Northern Sea Route” at the Kazan-Kaikan Conference Center, 37th floor of the Kazan-Kaikan Bldg., Tokyo, Japan, September 3-4, 2013; organized by the Ocean Policy Research Foundation (OPRF) in Japan with support from the Nippon Foundation. CHNL participated in a panel discussion with Rosatomflot (Russia), Fridjof Nansen Institute (Norway), Central Marine Research & Design Institute (Russia), Tschudi Shipping Company (Norway), and University of Alaska Fairbanks (USA).
11. “International Seminar on Sound and Sustainable Use of the Northern Sea Route” at the Keio Plaza Hotel Sapporo, Sapporo in Hokkaido, Japan, September 6, 2012, followed by an excursion to the Tomakomai Port on September 7; organized by the Ocean Policy Research Foundation (OPRF) in Japan with support from the Nippon Foundation. CHNL’s presentation: “Knowledge Transfer and Cooperation on Shipping & Logistics in the Arctic”.
12. “10th Global Strategic Review (GSR) Conference: Assessing Global Risk” of the International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) at the Stockholm Waterfront Congress Centre, Stockholm, Sweden, September 20-22, 2013. CHNL panel presentation in the Session: “Climate Change and the Strategic Future of the Arctic”.
13. First International Narvik Conference on Arctic Ports - Focusing on Resources, Trade Flows, Shipping, Logistics, Ports, Safety at Sea, Environment, Geopolitics and Industrial Development in the High North; organized by Narvik Port, Ocean Futures, and Maritimt Forum North; Narvik, September 23-27, 2012. CHNL’s presentation: “Northern and Arctic Shipping Trends: Is there a Trend and how Long Will it Last?"
14. “MOU Korea-Norway Maritime Transport Meeting at the Westin Chosun Hotel in Busan, South-Korea, October 24, 2013; the meeting was led my General Director Ms. Ida Skard of the Norwegian Ministry of Trade and Industry and General Director Mr. Jeon Ki-Jeong of the Korean Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries. The 8 members of the Norwegian delegation sitting at the table opposite the Korean delegation were from the Ministry of Trade and Industry, Norwegian Shipowners’ Association, Norwegian Research Council, DNV GL, Kongsberg Norcontrol IT, Norwegian Export Credit Agency, Innovation Norway, and CHNL. The MOU Meeting was followed by the Korea-Norway Maritime Transport Seminar at a BEXCO Convention Center - part of the KorMarine Conference in Busan. Field excursion to the Samsun Heavy Industries’ Shipyard and the New Busan Container Port, October 25. CHNL’s presentation: “Korea-Norway Joint Research on Using the NSR”.
15. CHNL’s Two-Day Conference: “Alaska and the New Maritime Arctic” in Anchorage, Alaska, November 6-7, 2013; organized in cooperation with the Institute of the North and hosted by the Embassy of Norway to the United States and the University of Alaska Fairbanks. The main goal with the conference was to facilitate a platform for discussing the commercial potential and some of the risks involved in the Northern Sea Route and promote increased cooperation and dialogue between Alaska and Norway in the future. In addition to conference organization,CHNL provided two presentations: “The New Russian NSR Regulations – What does this mean for Commercial Shipping? “; and the other “Assessing the Competitive Advantages and Risks of Using the NSR vs. Suez/Cape”.
16. “Academy of Landscape & Territorial Studies” a joint program of the University of Tromsø and the Oslo School of Architecture and Design (AHO), Tromsø, November 29, 2013; lecture and discussion with Masters’ students organized by Professor Knut Erik Dahl. CHNL’s presentation: “Arctic Marine Operations and Logistics: The Northern Sea Route (NSR)”.
17. “Arundel House Events” invited presentation at the International Institute of Strategic Studies’ (IISS) Arundel House in London, UK, December 9, 2013. CHNL’s presentation: “The Future of Arctic Shipping Routes”.